ADVERTISEMENT

Football Greenwood Dominates Conway 56-19

Luke Matheson

ArkansasVarsity.com Hall of Famer
Staff
May 26, 2007
White Hall, Arkansas
arkansasvarsity.com
The Greenwood Bulldogs scored early and often to take control of the Conway Wampus Cats, and they never looked back.

1750249.jpg

Conway had given up an average of 405 yards per game entering Friday night's match-up, but the Bulldogs picked up nearly that amount of yards in the first half alone - amassing 401 yards of offense at the half.

Quarterback Luke Hales would put Greenwood on the board first with 9:50 to play in the first quarter on a one-yard run. He would then connect with Ryan Padilla from 55-yards out with 6:22 remaining in the quarter to give Greenwood the 14-0 advantage.

"I'm really proud of our kids," said Greenwood head coach Rick Jones. "They love the challenge of playing this big schools, and it's a challenge, and I'm really proud of the way our guys played tonight. I thought they played really hard. It wasn't perfect, but boy the effort was really, really good."

Conway would answer with 4:51 remaining in the first quarter when McCall Dail ran it in from 64-yards out.

Hales would then connect with Padilla for the second time in the evening, this time from 86-yards out with 2:10 to play in the first quarter.

Christian Underwood would kick at 20-yard field goal with 8:43 remaining in the half to make the score 21-9 in favor of Greenwood.

Greenwood would strike again with 8:18 remaining in the half on a 78-yard touchdown from Caden Martin.

Underwood would then hit a 37-yard field goal with 5:22 to play in the half, then Dylan Hood would score from 11-yards out for Greenwood with 25 seconds remaining in the half.

Greenwood would go into the locker room with the 35-12 advantage, while amassing 401 yards of total offense. The Bulldog defense only allowed Conway to pick up 250 yards in the first half.

"It was good execution by our kids," said Jones. "I was really proud of the way we executed. Our receivers blocked and ran routes well, our quarterbacks made good decisions, and our line gave us time. It was about as efficient as you could hope to be against a talented group of kids that Conway has."

The second half wouldn't get any easier for Conway as Greenwood would strike on the first offensive play from scrimmage in the third quarter on a 68-yard pass from Hales to Garrett Carson. Hales would then connect with Drew Dundee from 12-yards out with 7:48 remaining in the third, to put the Bulldogs up 49-12.

Conway would get one final score with 3:23 remaining in the third when Breylin Smith connected with Tanner Thone from 10-yards out.

Connor Noland would put the icing on the cake for Greenwood with 11:42 to play in the game on a 56-yard run.

The big story of the night was the offensive production by Greenwood. The Bulldogs amassed 665 yards of total offense. Luke Hales was 9 of 13 passing for 236 yards and four touchdowns, and ran the ball seven times for 37 yards an a touchdown.

Greenwood looks to be a serious contender for a Class 6A state title this year, and Rick Jones believes his team is capable.

"If our kids will stay hungry and stay humble, we can go a long, long ways," said Jones. "This is a very special group of kids, and I'm sure proud of them."

Get more from Rick Jones in the video below:

NOTE: I will post the full post-game interviews with Luke Hale and Grant Morgan soon!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News