ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Friday Recruiting Thoughts

Luke Matheson

ArkansasVarsity.com Hall of Famer
Staff
May 26, 2007
White Hall, Arkansas
arkansasvarsity.com
Just a few thoughts I’ve had after seeing interaction on social media regarding players on state championship teams not signing D1 scholarships, and some questioning why.

The truth is that just because a team wins a state title that doesn’t mean their best players will sign D1. There are many schools who have won state titles with only a handful of kids who have signed D2, much less D1.

On the same token, just because a team has D1 kids on it doesn’t mean they will win a state title. There have been plenty of “loaded” teams that didn’t even make it to a title game, much less win one.

Arkansas on average produces around 35 or so D1 kids in football each year. This is FCS all the way to P5. The state produces more D2 talent, which is one big reason we see our in-state D2 programs signing talent like crazy.

There is absolutely no shame in a kid playing D3, D3, NAIA, or JUCO ball, either. That is another opportunity for those athletes to play and potentially earn a shot at going to that next level.

I say all of this because I’ve been bombarded with questions asking about kids from certain state title winning programs and why they didn’t sign D1, or in some cases, didn’t sign to play college football at all. The simple and direct answer is that not every stud player on a state title team is a true D1 kid. The numbers just do not support this.

Use the link below to get a FREE username to take part in forum discussion!
https://arkansasvarsity.rivals.com/create_account

Last edited:
The style of football played in Arkansas doesn't require stud D1 players that can compete in the SEC. Just because your school's team is the best in the state doesn't mean it's loaded with D1 talent. Look at Greenwood or PA. Dominate every year, but unless your last name is Morgan or Henry, you probably won't get that offer to UofA.

Reactions: Luke Matheson
One thing about style of play is that we still have schools running the wishbone triple option in Arkansas to produce wins that at times can be a detriment to kids recruiting. I also know that some coaches place a premium on getting their guys out while some coaches think recruiting is the kids business and needs to be handled by them and them alone without the help of their coaches. A lot goes into Arkansas kids getting athletic scholarships IMO.

One thing about style of play is that we still have schools running the wishbone triple option in Arkansas to produce wins that at times can be a detriment to kids recruiting. I also know that some coaches place a premium on getting their guys out while some coaches think recruiting is the kids business and needs to be handled by them and them alone without the help of their coaches. A lot goes into Arkansas kids getting athletic scholarships IMO.
I'm not referring to the handful of teams that have gone to the Bone to utilize the talent they have and also make it harder for an opposing team that faces the Bone one time a year to prepare. I am talking about the Bryants and Greewoods, the PA's and the Bentonvilles and everyone that copies them. The teams that use a quick strike offense with a decent QB that is smart and knows the game, throwing screens to 5'10" receivers that know how to get open because they are exceptionally coached and well prepared....and understand the game to the core. Smaller but very athletic OL and small quick LB's that can play defense against those same teams. But put those kids against LSU and Bama players on the weekends and they get killed. Arkansas cannot sign kids like that. Sure they find the occasional gem that can step up but they will not waste a valuable schollie on a homegrown kid just because they think he might be a diamond in the rough. And let me add something to this in response to Gate.....too many daddies in this state think unless that damn helmet has the running Hog on it, the team aint "spit"....

I'm not referring to the handful of teams that have gone to the Bone to utilize the talent they have and also make it harder for an opposing team that faces the Bone one time a year to prepare. I am talking about the Bryants and Greewoods, the PA's and the Bentonvilles and everyone that copies them. The teams that use a quick strike offense with a decent QB that is smart and knows the game, throwing screens to 5'10" receivers that know how to get open because they are exceptionally coached and well prepared....and understand the game to the core. Smaller but very athletic OL and small quick LB's that can play defense against those same teams. But put those kids against LSU and Bama players on the weekends and they get killed. Arkansas cannot sign kids like that. Sure they find the occasional gem that can step up but they will not waste a valuable schollie on a homegrown kid just because they think he might be a diamond in the rough. And let me add something to this in response to Gate.....too many daddies in this state think unless that damn helmet has the running Hog on it, the team aint "spit"....
I think those schools are the other end of the spectrum but still those skills translate closer to the next level. They’re are D2+ athletes at schools instate that their film doesn’t show translatable skills to help them get that opportunity. Also there are kids at Greenwood that are successful because of the scheme there and their own understanding of the game that don’t have the same physical gifts some college coaches are looking for. It’s a lot of different issues in play here. You’re also spot on that some parents look down on schools to the point they hurt their kids opportunities to go to school doing something they love.

I have seen situations in the past where parents have hurt their kids recruiting efforts. There is a lot of truth to that. Any offer is an offer to be considered and to be proud of.

One of the biggest things I see happen is when a kid lands a D2 offer, but they or their parents want to go D1, so they either ignore the offer and don’t communicate with that college, or they tell the college they aren’t interested. All of a sudden NSD is closing in, that D1 offer didn’t come, the D2 schools are full because they took commitments from other kids, and an athlete finds themselves in a pinch.

I have seen situations in the past where parents have hurt their kids recruiting efforts. There is a lot of truth to that. Any offer is an offer to be considered and to be proud of.

One of the biggest things I see happen is when a kid lands a D2 offer, but they or their parents want to go D1, so they either ignore the offer and don’t communicate with that college, or they tell the college they aren’t interested. All of a sudden NSD is closing in, that D1 offer didn’t come, the D2 schools are full because they took commitments from other kids, and an athlete finds themselves in a pinch.
I have seen this in person...just because the Dad wanted that kid to play for his HOGS and thump his own chest. Kid had talent to play at an OBU or Henderson etc. but his Dad pushed him to walk on at UofA. You probably know how that ended.

ADVERTISEMENT