ADVERTISEMENT

Week six Saturday thoughts

Luke Matheson

ArkansasVarsity.com Hall of Famer
Staff
May 26, 2007
White Hall, Arkansas
arkansasvarsity.com
Wow, what a night we had last night! There were some tremendous football games, some upsets, and some blowouts. I told my wife on the way home last night from North Little Rock vs. Jonesboro that there always seems to be one week during the regular season where upsets happen, and a week during the playoff where they happen.

Last night seemed to be that night.

Class 7A, things pretty much went as they were expected to. Rogers Heritage played Springdale very tough, and nearly stole a victory, but the Bulldogs were able to hold on. Springdale did have star player Deandre Murray out, but take nothing away from the War Eagles for their effort.

Cabot is beginning to make a legitimate argument to be the number one team in the state. They are looking solid, and I'm starting to believe they could be a legit contender for the 7A state title. Bentonville, Conway, Har-Ber, and North Little Rock are still legitimate contenders in my opinion as well.

Speaking of North Little Rock, I got to see them in action last night. I saw an improvement in them from week two when I saw them against South Panola. They have had to make some adjustments after losing Juan Day (who will have surgery this week), and several other players have stepped up to become play makers for the Charging Wildcats.

Jonesboro played without stud running back Denzel Mitchell last night. North Little Rock was able to take advantage of that, Mitchell was out with a concussion, and is expected to return next week for Jonesboro.

Little Rock Central earned a nice victory over West Memphis last night as well.

Class 6A was upset city last night.

You know it is bad when Gate sends you a text telling you to change El Dorado from a contender to a pretender. Texarkana simply dominated the Wildcats last night. El Dorado made a good effort to try to come back, but the Razorbacks already had the game well in hand.

Not only did Texarkana throw a wrench in the 6A-South, Lake Hamilton did as well by dominating Pine Bluff. Much like El Dorado, Pine Bluff tried to make a comeback, but the Wolves already had the game in hand.

At the same time, that is one reason why I am such a fan of the 6A-South. There are so many good teams, and nearly anyone can win on any given night. The four teams mentioned above, in addition to Jonesboro and Greenwood will be the teams to beat come playoff time. The problem is, I'm not sure anyone in Class 6A can beat Greenwood. If anyone will do it this year, it will be in a few weeks with the Bulldogs travel to take on Class 7A Conway. That should be an excellent game to go see.

There were some good games in Class 5A last night. I still believe the best two teams in the classification are Camden-Fairview and Pulaski Academy. Both teams were impressive in their wins last night.

Alma, Batesville, Watson Chapel, and White Hall had nice wins last night also in Class 5A.

Moving to Class 4A, I want to start by giving a tip of the hat to Newport. After two tough losses in a row, they bounced back last night with a nice win over Stuttgart. It is my understanding that Stuttgart suffered some key injuries last night, but Newport still took care of their business.

How about Malvern defeating Ashdown? I don't believe many people saw that coming at all. That game was being discussed on the sidelines of the NLR vs. Jonesboro game last night as we began to receive score updates.

Nashville picked up a nice win last night as well. I still believe that the Scrappers are going to be a force in the playoffs, and more especially next season. They have a lot of talent that is beginning to come together and really gel.

Arkadelphia and Warren are still looking solid, and how about DeWitt? The Dragons are having a good season this year. It is always nice to see teams who have struggled in recent years come back and have a good season. My hats off to them. Hamburg is another team that has really come on as well.

Dollarway is the team I've really got my eye on in 4A. The Cardinals are playing some solid football right now, and look like they are going to be very tough to beat.

Class 3A is going to be really fun to watch come playoff time. Harding Academy, Charleston, Barton, Glen Rose, Smackover, and Fountain Lake may be the teams to beat this year.

Prescott picked up a solid win over Fordyce last night. It will be interesting to see how the Redbugs respond after a tough loss last night.

In Class 2A, I still think it is going to be tough for anyone to beat Junction City. Bearden always plays them tough. Carlisle is looking good as is Hazen and East Poinsett County. Hazen was simply dominate last night.

Dierks is playing really good football right now as well.

Needless to say, Class 2A will be fun to watch come playoff time as well.

It is hard to believe, but the 2013 season is already beginning to wind down. For some teams, their seasons will end in just four weeks, while others are hoping to play until December. Is your team a Thanksgiving weekend team?

Feel free to weigh in with your thoughts by replying to this post. Who is your team to beat in each classification? You can sign up for a FREE user name and chime in if you'd like by CLICKING HERE. If you already have a Rivals.com log in, you can use it to post as well.

El Dorado's biggest problem: the offensive line, particularly the tackles. They couldn't block me right now.
We couldn't stay on the field on 3rd down and the defense wore down. The D held Texarkana to 16 pts (other score was a pick six) so in that regard they played well enough to win the game.

I was proud of the way they fought back after falling behind 23-0 but football is 4 quarters, not one.

If we don't get that line squared away Lake Hamilton is gonna monkeystomp us.

ADVERTISEMENT