ADVERTISEMENT

Week five Saturday thoughts

Luke Matheson

ArkansasVarsity.com Hall of Famer
Staff
May 26, 2007
White Hall, Arkansas
arkansasvarsity.com
I have a very busy day ahead of me Saturday with my daughters first birthday party, so I'm doing my Saturday thoughts post tonight.

Well, here we are. Week five is complete. We are halfway through with the regular season. It doesn't seem like it though. Time has flown this year for sure. Anyways, to tonight's thoughts.

The 7A race is shaping up, and you can tell the teams that will be the ones to beat come playoff time. Bentonville, Fayetteville, Har-Ber, Conway, Cabot, and North Little Rock will be the teams to watch. Is this the year that someone other than a West team gets the job done? If so, Conway, NLR, and Cabot are going to have to bring it.

I think that at this point, Class 6A is going to be between Greenwood, Pine Bluff, Jonesboro, El Dorado, and Lake Hamilton. I don't know if anyone in 6A has enough to stop Greenwood though. Quite simply, that program is a machine. If Greenwood gets beat, it will be because Greenwood beat themselves somehow.

Don't get me wrong, there are some solid 6A programs, but Greenwood has it going on right now. They have talent, tradition, and a head coach who very well may be the best coach in the entire state of Arkansas. The 6A title runs through Greenwood.

As with Greenwood in Class 6A, I think the state title for Class 5A runs through Camden-Fairview. The Cardinals had a solid win over a salty White Hall team tonight, and they are looking like a team that could run the table.

Pulaski Academy looks good once again, and they may be about the only team in 5A right now that I can see who could give Camden-Fairview a run for their money. One thing is for sure, if that game gets played in the playoffs, I'm there.

Class 4A is going to be fun to watch come playoff time. There are several quality teams that are looking good right now. Arkadelphia, Ashdown, Dollarway, Lonoke, Nashville, and Warren are all capable. I think that Arkadelphia, Dollarway, Lonoke, and Warren are on an entirely different level than everyone else in 4A right now. Depending on how the seedings set up, those four teams very well could be our final four in the playoffs this year. It wouldn't surprise me a bit to see something like that play out.

Class 3A has some solid teams as well. Harding Academy is going to be tough to beat, however, Charleston, Glen Rose, and Smackover are looking pretty good right now also. All four teams have a ton of talent and are capable of playing for a state title. I really feel these four teams are separating themselves from the rest of the 3A pack right now.

I've been saying it all year, and I will say it again. The Class 2A title runs through Junction City. I'm just not sure that there is anyone in Class 2A that can stop them this year. They handled the two best opponents in their conference, Rison and Bearden, already and have the 8-2A conference title locked up.

Speaking of Rison and Bearden, those two teams will have a showdown in three weeks. That game should decide second place in the conference behind the Dragons.

There are some other 2A teams that are making some noise though. Carlisle, East Poinsett County, Hazen, and Dierks are all playing some really good football right now. While I believe JC will repeat as champions, these teams here are capable of pulling off an upset come playoff time.

The second half of the season is now upon us, and its time for teams to get serious. Conference titles and playoff seedings are on the line. Each week tells us more about which teams are at the top of the totem pole, and who is separating themselves from their opponents.

Buckle up folks, the ride is about to get faster, a little more bumpy, but a lot more fun for fans of Arkansas high school football.

Feel free to weigh in with your thoughts by replying to this post. Who is your team to beat in each classification? You can sign up for a FREE user name and chime in if you'd like by CLICKING HERE. If you already have a Rivals.com log in, you can use it to post as well.

El Dorado getting it together. Bijhon Jackson had six tackles for loss tonight in Sheridan. Offensive line is starting to come together. Defensive back seven starting to play as a unit. We let one slip away in Greenwood last year. Our kids aren't intimidated by them.

If we get them again, they're going down. We match up with them scheme-wise better than any team they face.

El Dorado is 2-3 (with wins against JA Fair and Sheridan) I wouldn't start saying the Wildcats are prepared to take on Greenwood just yet. As for my Bulldogs. Machine rolls on. Few injuries that could hinder, but the countdown is on 3 weeks until the Showdown in Rebel Stadium. We're going to find out what kind of team Greenwood has. For the rest of the 6A. I don't see any team right now that will stand toe to toe with this Greenwood team. You can't run on the outside against this speedy defense, and you can't run up the middle. You're only hope is to try and get the ball down field against our soft secondary. Most teams are afraid to throw against us, because of how fast the outside linebackers can get to the Quarterback.

Only two teams stand between Greenwood and an undefeated season...none of which reside in 6A.

We were only one game better this time last year with wins over the same two teams.
Our kids aren't worried about Greenwood or the streak. Matter of fact I'm sure they aren't allowed to even discuss it or even mention it.

We're only concerned with one thing right now: Texarkana this Friday. That, and continuing to get better execution-wise, and eliminating the unforced errors that cost football games.

By the way, El Dorado is more well-coached than either Conway or Southside. Just sayin.

This post was edited on 10/5 3:41 PM by gatecrasherfan

ADVERTISEMENT