ADVERTISEMENT

Week 9 Saturday Thoughts

Luke Matheson

ArkansasVarsity.com Hall of Famer
Staff
May 26, 2007
White Hall, Arkansas
arkansasvarsity.com
Well, here we are. We have one week remaining in the 2013 regular season, and boy how has time flown this year. It seems like yesterday I was preparing preseason team previews, and preparing for the first week of the season.

We have had a lot of great football this year. The thing I've liked about this year is that the unpredictable has happened in a lot of places. There have been some solid upsets this year, and some teams in various classifications that have risen up and done big things this year.

Last night, I got to see Greenwood win their 47th win in a row against Conway. There was a point in the game that I thought the streak was going to end. Conway had the horses to get the job done, but NEVER count out a Rick Jones coached football team. The Greenwood defense stepped up and made some plays, and the offense was able to get into field goal position three times in the second half to help earn the victory.

I said going into this game that if Conway didn't beat Greenwood, no one will, and I stand by that. I truly believe Greenwood will roll to their fourth-straight state title, and tie Barton for the most consecutive state titles in a row. This team is simply a machine. Conway had every opportunity to win that football game last night, but just couldn't get the job done. That's as cut and dry as I can put it.

There are some good programs in Class 6A, but I just don't believe that there are any good enough this year to stop the Greenwood Bulldogs.

Class 7A had some good games last night. How about Har-Ber defeating previously unbeaten Fayetteville in overtime? Four-star defensive tackle Josh Frazier got himself an interception to help claim the victory for his team.

Cabot looks like the team to beat right now. The Panthers have been doing work all year long, and if they stay the course, they very well may have what it takes to win a state title this year.

North Little Rock and Bentonville are looking good as well. The Tigers blanked Springdale, while the Charging Wildcats put up enough points to inflict a mercy rule against Mountain Home before the first quarter was over. With the West proving to me a little down this year compared to most, Cabot and NLR will have a prime opportunity to get the job done this year.

Don't count out Conway just yet either. The Wampus Cats have some talent, and very well could make a run in the playoffs.

Class 6A had some solid match-up's last night. El Dorado got the job done against Benton, but we also saw Lake Hamilton get throttled by Bryant. Pine Bluff mercy ruled Sheridan, while Jonesboro was defeated handily by Cabot.

While I believe that El Dorado, Pine Bluff, Lake Hamilton, and Jonesboro have what it takes to go deep in the playoffs, I honestly believe Greenwood will run the table again this year as mentioned above. Someone is going to have to catch lightning in a bottle to prove me wrong.

Class 5A, how about Hope? Those guys have brought it this year. Nashville, Camden-Fairview, and now White Hall have all fallen at the hands of the Bobcats. Does Hope have a little magic left for the playoffs? Time will certainly tell.

Speaking of Camden-Fairview, they have a big time game this Friday night as they travel to face Watson Chapel for at least a share of the conference title. If Watson Chapel wins, the Wildcats will be the outright conference champions. This will be a great game to see if you are in the South East Arkansas area Friday night.

Pulaski Academy did work last night, earning an impressive victory over Sylvan Hills, and Batesville handled their business as well. Helena-West Helena saw an impressive win over Little Rock Christian last night as well.

Despite the loss to Hope last week, I still feel that Camden-Fairview is the team to beat. Pulaski Academy is right there with them. You will have to beat one if not both of these teams if you want to win a title in Class 5A this year. Batesville, White Hall, and Watson Chapel are teams to watch as well.

In Class 4A, Bo Hembree and those Warren Lumberjacks have done it again. Who cares if you don't win a single non-conference game as long as you are blowing through your conference and winning the conference title like they are? These guys are legit, and will be a solid contender in the playoffs.

Dollarway and Arkadelphia are looking solid as well. Arkadelphia has a big game against Malvern this week for a conference title, and Dollarway has their conference title wrapped up. Malvern earned a solid victory over Nashville last night.

Lonoke earned a hard fought victory over Stuttgart last night, and Newport looked solid against Marianna-Lee.

I believe that your major contenders in Class 4A will be Arkadelphia, Dollarway, Malvern, and Warren. All four have what it takes to win it all this year, and the Class 4A playoffs may be one of the most interesting to watch because of this. You truly have four state title contenders up top, with several more teams who could earn one if things go the right way for them in the playoffs.

Class 3A saw the top teams do work last night as well.

Charleston, Glen Rose, and Harding Academy handled their business, but Smackover took it on the chin against McGegee. Don't count the Owls out, they are playing good football right now. It will be interesting to see how Smackover bounces back now.

Fordyce and Fountain Lake earned nice victories last night, and could disrupt a few playoff brackets this year if things bounce the right way for them.

I think 3A is a three-team race between Charleston, Glen Rose, and Harding Academy. One of these three teams will most likely win it all.

Class 2A had some good games last night as well.

Congratulations to Des Arc for pulling out the upset victory over previously undefeated Carlisle, and to Gurdon for simply dominating Bearden. Both of those games saw impressive victories by the underdog.

Junction City continues to do work, while Rison had to come from behind late in the game to defeat Strong.

Walnut Ridge got a nice win over Augusta, while McCrory earned a nice win over Cedar Ridge. Hazen and Dierks earned victories last night as well.

As far as the playoffs go, I still believe the state title runs through Junction City. However, the Dragons may not be as invincible as most people think. Gurdon is looking solid as is Dierks, East Poinsett County, and Hazen.

Des Arc may be peaking at the right time, and you can bet your last dollar that Carlisle and Bearden will both bounce back.

The Class 2A playoffs will be a lot of fun to watch as well. Who has what it takes? Can anyone stop Junction City? We will begin to find out in just a couple of weeks!

I hope you enjoyed my thoughts from this week. Feel free to chime in with your own. All opinions are welcomed here. Who is your team to beat in each classification? You can sign up for a FREE user name and chime in if you'd like by CLICKING HERE. If you already have a Rivals.com log in, you can use it to post as well.

El Dorado is the hottest team in 6A this side of Greenwood. They have clinched the #1 seed in the South and home field advantage throughout the playoffs.
Expect El Dorado to make it to WMS as a 4-loss team (they'll beat Bryant on the road this Friday). Once there, we'll see what happens.

El Dorado will be lucky to beat Bryant. They are playing some good football now, and mercy ruled Lake Hamilton Friday night. Gate, you are really seeming delusional about El Dorado this year. They are nowhere near as good as they have been in the past, and they will be lucky to make it to Little Rock.

ADVERTISEMENT