ADVERTISEMENT

Senate Bill 331 Passes (Home school bill)

Luke Matheson

ArkansasVarsity.com Hall of Famer
Staff
May 26, 2007
White Hall, Arkansas
arkansasvarsity.com
SB331 passed today in the Arkansas legislature. This is one of several bills that could bring major changes to the Arkansas Activities Association.

SB331 will allow home schooled teams to play regular high school teams sanctioned by the AAA in basketball, baseball, softball, soccer, and volleyball. However, they will not be allowed to participate in an AAA sanctioned conference, conference tournaments, district tournaments, regional tournaments, or state tournaments.

CLICK HERE TO READ THE BILL

Want to join the discussion? Get a FREE username by CLICKING HERE. If you already have a Rivals.com log in, you can use it to post as well.
[/I]

This post was edited on 3/17 4:32 PM by Luke Matheson

Luke
Are there that many home schooled athletes in the state that are close enough together to be able to make up a team? And if so, what sport?
Thanks,

Originally posted by razor78:
Luke
Are there that many home schooled athletes in the state that are close enough together to be able to make up a team? And if so, what sport?
Thanks,
I've had some emails sent to me saying there are homeschool leagues in the state, with teams that currently play each other. I'm researching to get more information, but from what I understand Little Rock and the Jonesboro area have some teams already.

There are a number of Homeschool athletic groups in the State. Northeast Arkansas (Jonesboro and surrounding areas), Pulaski County, Saline County, Faulkner County, Northwest Arkansas (Springdale/Fayetteville areas), and FT Smith all have Elementary through Senior High Boys and Girls Basketball programs. Most of these groups also have Girls Volleyball, Boys/Girls Soccer, Baseball, Golf, and Bowling.

All of these programs have competitive teams and compete against each other as well as other Homeschool teams in surrounding states. They will also travel and play public school teams in the surrounding states that already allow Homeschool teams to schedule with them. And they will schedule with the non AAA in state Private Schools within their areas. I can see Bill331 helping the local schools to have more home games and not have to travel as far. And also give the Homeschool athletes a chance to compete closer to their home area.

The in state Homeschool teams play each other during the regular season as their "conference" games. And at the end of the year they have a State Tournament to crown a champion. There is also a Regional and National Tournament for the teams to compete in post season.

I hope this helps to clarify!

Thanks

ADVERTISEMENT