ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts after Week Three

Luke Matheson

ArkansasVarsity.com Hall of Famer
Staff
May 26, 2007
White Hall, Arkansas
arkansasvarsity.com
There was a lot of great football played throughout the state last night, and I've got a lot of thoughts that I want to share from each classification.

7A THOUGHTS:

Fayetteville picked up a big win over Dallas Bishop Dunne. That is a huge win for their program, and it shows that Fayetteville is who we thought they were. As expected, this team is going to compete for another state title.

Har-Ber dropped a tough one to Jenks, Oklahoma, but I fully expect them to be in the title hunt come December.

Despite their loss last night, I want to give a shout out to Springdale. They have played well this year. Let's see how it plays out down the stretch.

Catholic lost to Jonesboro last night, but I was very impressed with OL/DL Audry Horn and running back Samy Johnson. Samy is a kid to watch over the next few years. If he can stay healthy, he is going to be a stud. Horn is committed to Arkansas as a preferred walk on.

How about Little Rock Central being 3-0? They have been solid this year. They will face their toughest test of the year this Friday night against North Little Rock.

6A THOUGHTS:

Greenwood had a nice win over Alma last night. The Bulldogs are going to be a serious contender for the 6A title this year.

Jonesboro looked solid against Catholic, and I fully expect them to compete for a state title as well. Jonathan Adams is committed to A-State, and he is a stud for sure.

El Dorado and Benton had nice wins last night. Pine Bluff saw their game cancelled due to weather. I expect these three teams to compete for state titles as well.

5A THOUGHTS:

Pulaski Academy has a nice bounce back win after falling in Utah last week. I don't have to say it, but we all know that the Bruins are a major player for the chance at a state title.

Sylvan Hills had a nice win over Jacksonville. This is another team I expect to compete for a title this year.

White Hall is 3-0 after going winless last year. They are going to compete for at least a conference title, and could potentially do more in the playoffs if they get hot.

4A THOUGHTS:

Wow, what a game that must have been between Nashville and Idabel, Oklahoma. A final score of 91-66. While it would have been fun to watch, I am certainly glad I didn't have to stat that one. The Scrappers are my favorite to repeat as champions.

Keep an eye on Robinson. The Senators have the talent to get the job done, and will be a force this year.

Warren earned a nice win over Watson Chapel last night. They have a solid coaching staff to include LB coach George Shelton who is a former head coach. He adds a wealth of knowledge to an already impressive coaching staff under Bo Hembree. They will be another team that will compete this year for a title.

3A THOUGHTS:

There is going to be a great game Friday night between Glen Rose and Haskell Harmony Grove. These two teams have looked super impressive so far this year, but this game will tell a lot about both teams. This is one I'm considering going to cover.

Prescott is looking good this year. Those guys always seem to have a solid program, and they are going to compete for a state title this year.

Fordyce had a nice win over Monticello. The Red Bugs have some talent, and are a sleeper team that could do a lot of damage if they really come alive.

2A THOUGHTS:

England is a dangerous, dangerous team. They have all of the tools to run right over Class 2A on the way to a state title. IMHO, if you are going to win a state title in 2A this year, you're going to have to go through England somewhere down the line.

Hampton has been very impressive as well. I'm told that Monta Thomas suffered a knee injury last night. I do not know how bad of an injury it is, be they can't afford to lose him. They have some other good players, but Thomas is on another level.

Des Arc is another team that is going to be dangerous this year. They have all of the tools to compete for a state title this year as well, and I fully expect to see them make a lot of noise in the playoffs.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Conference play begins this week. There are at least four games that I believe will have major implications in regards to conference titles.

North Little Rock vs LR Central
Russellville vs Benton
Haskell Harmony Grove vs Glen Rose
Rison vs Bearden

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News