ADVERTISEMENT

Week Two Saturday Thoughts

Luke Matheson

ArkansasVarsity.com Hall of Famer
Staff
May 26, 2007
White Hall, Arkansas
arkansasvarsity.com
It is hard to believe, but the second week of the 2013 football season is now in the past. There were a lot of good games last night, and there are some teams I would like to recognize.

First and foremost, congratulations to Greenwood for their 40th consecutive victory. The Bulldogs are certainly one of Arkansas' top programs. It will be interesting to see if they can achieve a win streak like the Barton teams of the late 1980's. If any team and any coach can do it, it will be a Rick Jones led Greenwood team. To top it off, Greenwood earned that 40th consecutive victory with a win over arch rival Alma.

I covered the North Little Rock vs. South Panola, MS. game last night. I'm seeing a lot of talk from fans who claim that Bobby Bolding and his staff were out-coached in their one-point loss, but I disagree. I think you have to give Bolding and his staff major props for hanging with a Top 40 team nationally, and giving the former national and defending state champions all they wanted and then some.

North Little Rock certainly had their chances, but South Panola had their hands full with this Charging Wildcat team, and it took every trick they had in the book to pull off the win.

Arkadelphia continues to roll with a big win over Class 6A Sheridan. With Warren and Nashville having some early struggles, Arkadelphia very well may be a team to keep your eyes on in Class 4A.

Ashdown had another big win last night. They have struggled in recent years, but so far things are going their way in 2013, They are another team that I will have my eyes on this season.

Bentonville and Har-Ber both fell last night in addition to North Little Rock's loss. It is VERY rare that the top three teams in Class 7A lose in the same week. I've been asked about who the number one team will be this week, and I'm still leaning towards North Little Rock considering they only lost by one point to a nationally ranked team. Bentonville fell by a touchdown, while Har-Ber would handled pretty easily by Rock Bridge, Missouri.

Conway had another big win last night. They defeated a salty Jonesboro team on the road at Jonesboro. The Wampus Cats very well may be a sleeper team to do big things in Class 7A this year.

Fayetteville picked up another nice win as they defeated Jefferson City, Missouri. The Purple Dogs are young this year, but they do have some talent.

FS Southside was able to squeak past El Dorado by a touchdown. I believe this score speaks more for El Dorado than it does Southside due to the youth and the struggles the Wildcats have had early on this season. Take nothing away from Southside, but El Dorado is growing week by week.

Nashville bounced back with a mercy rule win over DeQueeen following a loss to Hope last week. The Scrappers are looking to get things back on track for 2013, and have a tough task this coming week against a salty Class 5A Watson Chapel team. This game should be a good one to watch.

Speaking of Watson Chapel, they played their first game of the season Friday night, and lost to cross-town foe Pine Bluff. The Zebras have a tough task this coming week as well and they take on North Little Rock. It should be a great game, just don't call it "The Bolding Bowl". Neither of the brothers are too fond of that name for the game.

Fountain Lake lost another tough one. Ol Gatecrasher argued with me in the preseason saying he felt that the Cobras would contend for a title this year, but I believe they just lost too much. Coach Tommy Gilleran eluded to that fact over the summer when he spoke with me about his team. Fountain Lake is a proud program, but they are certainly in rebuilding mode this year.

Shiloh Christian earned a solid victory over Broken Bow, Oklahoma. I felt the Saints would win, but it was the margin of victory that was surprising to me.

Smackover had a solid win over Strong last night as well. The Buckaroo's are team to keep your eyes on in Class 3A. They have some talent, and are on a roll so far this year.

Valley View picked up a solid win over defending Class 4A state champions Stuttgart. The Ricebirds are off to a less than stellar start this year, but Valley View certainly deserves some recognition.They are a solid team that is on the rise.

White Hall got their revenge on Little Rock Christian. The Warriors tried to claim last year's game as a victory after weather caused the game to be canceled. The Bulldogs had to go to the Arkansas Activities Association to have the game ruled as no contest, and they were able to earn a victory over a solid Warrior team on their home field last night.

Week two was exciting, and week three should be right there as well. We have one more week of non-conference play before business picks up. The 2013 football season is in full swing, and it is only going to get better from here!

El Dorado was down 21-0 to the Rebels by early 2nd, and they clawed their way back into it. They had a chance to tie it late but tried a halfback option pass (why that??) on 4th down that fell incomplete.

We'll be fine.

As for the Cobras, they lost to these same two teams to begin last year. As a matter of fact if my memory is right this is the 3rd time in 4 years they have started 0-2 or worse. They'll be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT