ADVERTISEMENT

Week One Saturday Thoughts

Luke Matheson

ArkansasVarsity.com Hall of Famer
Staff
May 26, 2007
White Hall, Arkansas
arkansasvarsity.com
This feature was popular last year, so I will continue it this year. Each Saturday, I will post my thoughts on games from around the state.

Week one was full of surprises. It started Monday night when Ashdown knocked off West Memphis. I don't know how far Ashdown will go this year, but they certainly have some talent, and it showed Monday night.

How about Hope defeating Nashville last night? I honestly did not see that one coming. I know the Hope faithful are celebrating today. This will give the Bobcats something to build on.

East Poinsett County had a big one point win over Rivercrest. There are some stout teams in Class 2A this year, and EPC may be one to reckon with.

How about Har-Ber knocking off Webb City, Missouri. Webb City was riding a 91 game regular season winning streak until the Wildcats defeated them last night. Great win for Coach Chris Wood and his team.

Maumelle had a nice win against Fountain Lake. I actually picked the Cobras to win this one, but the Hornets mercy ruled them. Could the Cobras be in for a long season?

North Little Rock dominated Lake Hamilton last night. The Wolves simply didn't have the studs to hang with North Little Rock. I will get a chance to see the Charging Wildcats in action this week as they take on South Panola, Mississippi in the week two ArkansasVarsity.com game of the week.

Pine Bluff and Fort Smith Northside battled to a tie. The Zebras are young this year and had to kick a field goal late to force the tie. Keep an eye on them throughout the year. Bobby Bolding's teams always seem to begin to gel around mid October.

Camden-Fairview defeated El Dorado for the second year in a row. I look for the Cardinals to make another run to War Memorial in December in Class 5A. El Dorado has some things to clean up in order to be ready for conference play.

Congratulations to Pulaski Academy on their win over Memphis University Studies. Coach Kevin Kelley has some youth on his team this year, but he was able to get production out of them. If PA gets some confidence, it could bode well for them this season.

How about Sylvan Hills defeating Vilonia? That one was a bit of a surprise to me. I am going to be interested to see what Sylvan Hills continues to do this year.

Cross County and Harrisburg had a ridiculous score last night, as the Thunderbirds earned a 81-57 victory. That looks like a basketball score, but I assure you it is the correct score. Ozark, Missouri and Harrison had a high scoring game as well, as Ozark defeated Harrison 66-64.

I noticed the whipping Berryville put on Marshall. I wonder if Marshall will complain that Berryville ran the score up on them much like Berryville did when they were being defeated by similar scores....

Bearden defeated Camden Harmony Grove as I expected. The Bears will be a force in Class 2A once again this year.

Junction City dominated Earle last night. No surprise there either. Class 2A is Junction's to lose.

Now to the game that I covered last night. It was another epic match-up between Rison and Fordyce. Rison won everywhere but on the scoreboard. A fumble late in the second quarter ended up being the difference in the game as Fordyce athlete Larry Buckley was able to scoop and score. Rison had a shot to at least tie the game late in the game, but was stopped on fourth and short at the Fordyce 13 yard line with 19 seconds to play.

Fordyce has some young talent and will be a team to watch for over the next couple of years. Rison also has some young talent, but also has enough talent to make some noise in Class 2A this year.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you have any thoughts on Friday night's games? If so, be sure to chime in! If you don't have a free username, you can get one by CLICKING HERE. If you already have a Rivals.com log in, you can chime in using it.

The Streak and The Machine Rolls on #39inarow

365 days ago after CF took El Dorado to the woodshed, I told y'all to not count the Wildcats out. True to form, they came within 1-2 plays of toppling Greenwood in their own house and making a 5th straight trip to War Memorial.

After last night's loss, I'm saying it again: Do NOT count El Dorado out. The Cats started 10 sophomores last night, the most in my 33 years of following the program. It's a team full of talent but it has to gel, particularly the 4 sophomores that started on the offensive line.

Warning to the rest of 6A: once these guys get rolling, it ain't stopping for a couple of years. Just sayin.

ADVERTISEMENT