ADVERTISEMENT

Things are about to get very interesting regarding the AAA UPDATE MARCH 18

Luke Matheson

ArkansasVarsity.com Hall of Famer
Staff
May 26, 2007
White Hall, Arkansas
arkansasvarsity.com
Senator Jon Woods has filed an Interim Study Proposal regarding the Arkansas Activities Association

CLICK HERE FOR MORE

Senate Bill 958 has been filed.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE

UPDATE MARCH 18

Here's another one I just found out about this morning, Senate Bill 870. This one is a big one.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE

Want to join the discussion? Get a FREE username by CLICKING HERE. If you already have a Rivals.com log in, you can use it to post as well.

This post was edited on 3/18 10:47 AM by Luke Matheson

Re: Things are about to get very interesting regarding the AAA

"Consistently adhering to the provisions of its constitution and bylaws looks familiar". Looks like a very fair, well thought out proposal by Senator Woods.
This post was edited on 3/12 12:37 AM by hawgwild9

I just spoke with Jim Baxter from SCVarsity.com in South Carolina. They recently had their state legislators do some very similar things regarding their athletic association, and he has some very insightful information about how things worked out for them.

He will post later tonight on this thread to give an inside look at how things went there, and how it has been since changes have been made.

Luke, guys, not sure how much I can add, but I'll tell you what we had happen here in South Carolina.

Our governing body of scholastic sports, the South Carolina High School League, has been very inconsistent in their decision making process over the years. We have an executive director who makes the decision on rulings and if the schools/athlete appeals, it goes before the Executive Committee. This committee is made up of a group of administrators/AD's elected by the "body" which consist of the administrators/AD's of all of the League members.

This executive committee has, over the years, been very political and inconsistent in their decisions. I have seen them rule differently on the exact same scenario twice in the same day. Frequently, there are members ON the executive committee who are too close (by two degrees of separation or less) to the situation.

Two years ago, they ruled on an ineligible player for a school who was a special education student who was only on the team as a "token" and to make the young man feel good. A state senator got involved and this thing went to the SC Supreme Court. The result was that the ruling was upheld but this senator got involved and got legislation passed that mandated a "second appeals committee" to be formed (in case the Exec Committee didn't give a ruling people liked.) This second committee members were appointed by senators from each legislative district in the state. They have already screwed up two rulings this year that went AGAINST the SCHSL constitution. Basically, they have crippled the authority of t he SCHSL because they can simply overturn anything that their constituents may not like.

This is BAD for high school sports in our state. We now have a government that can't even balance a budget for our state and cannot do anything about our state finishing in the bottom 10% in education INVOLVED in running an organization that oversees over 200 high schools. It is absolutely absurd and a bad thing for high school sports.

I have been very critical of this second committee openly in my columns in The State Newspaper and have actually gotten calls from members of that committee.

I hope you guys don't have to go through this. I'll keep my eye out to see what develops. Good luck.

I am curious to see how all this plays out. Everyone I have talked to says while the AAA is a grease fire, the state legislature needs to tend to more pressing matters that they are more qualified to deal with, instead of putting their nose into the governing of high school sports in this state.

Thanks for posting, Jim.

There are things about the Arkansas Activities Association that I think needs to be changed, but I'm not sure going through the legislature is the right thing either. I too worry about what would happen here if they take control. Would it work? Would it make things worse? Those are the important questions.

ADVERTISEMENT