ADVERTISEMENT

Video Teams To Watch In The Postseason

Luke Matheson

ArkansasVarsity.com Hall of Famer
Staff
May 26, 2007
White Hall, Arkansas
arkansasvarsity.com
Hayden Balgavy and I did a web special to break down teams to watch in each classification as we approach the playoffs. We go from Class 2A all the way to Class 7A, so no classification is left out. I'd love to read your thoughts, so feel free to chime in once you watch the video below.

Junction City's q.b. play, or lack of, will get them beat. The 8 is horrible outside of Rison and j.c. just look what's happened to possible 3 seed strong, mercy ruled by Des arc and beaten badly by hector. You said nothing about the 6-2A which has been pretty successful, had 4 of the final 8 teams last season. I can think of 4 runners-up since 08. I wouldn't be surprised to see atleast 3 teams make it to the semi's this year, mccrory, des arc, and hazen. Yes hazen got blew out by Earle week 1, but they were missing key players. You mentioned England, they are an unknown, they blew out carlisle week one, but struggled last week against an overrated conway Christian (they haven't beaten anyone of substance).

Reactions: Luke Matheson
Rison, England, Mount Ida and Junction City, in my mind, are the clear-cut top teams in 2A. McCrory and Des Arc could have something to say in 6-2A, but the overall conference isn't entirely weak. 3 teams, Hazen, along with McCrory and Des Arc, are listed in the 2A top 10 on the Power Rankings. Earle could possibly factor in, but the closest ranked team to them in 3-2A is Cross County at #11, and is a big drop-off from there. It's not a strong conference from top to bottom. 6-2A is actually a stronger conference per the Power Rankings.

England hasn't played a good team all year, and wont until the 2nd round of the playoffs. The 5 maybe weaker than the 4 this year and the 7 isn't much better, would really like to see Mt ida play, odds are they also won't be tested until the playoffs.​

Here's a look at how many teams from each conference are in the Gray Power Rankings (GPR) Top 20 for 2A:
3-2A: 3
4-2A: 2
5-2A: 3
6-2A: 5
7-2A: 4
8-2A: 3

I have the same hang up with England that I have with Earle. They both play in a conference that leaves a lot to be desired, and they won't really be tested until the playoffs. Earle has played some teams tough in the past despite this, but I'm not sure England will be able to get on a run come playoff time. If they run up against a Rison or a Junction City, how will they respond?

If des arc beats hazen next friday, it will set up a potential trip to england in round 2. That will be the end of the road for a good team.

I think Dardanelle has to be mentioned in the 4A, they have a great chance to win the state championship. They lost only one game last year and that was to eventual state champion Warren 17-16 in the semifinals of state. The have beat teams this year by an average of 45-13. Coach Price does an excellent job of coaching. October 23rd has been circled on my calendar for a long time, Robinson travels to Dardanelle.

Reactions: sananddan24
Dardanelle might get beat against Robinson but I would be very surprised if they got "crushed"

ADVERTISEMENT