ADVERTISEMENT

Shane Davis resigns as Waldron head coach

Luke Matheson

ArkansasVarsity.com Hall of Famer
Staff
May 26, 2007
White Hall, Arkansas
arkansasvarsity.com
Davis has confirmed to me that he resigned his duties as head football coach at Waldron tonight. There are rumors that other coaches resigned as well, but Davis stated that he is the only one who turned in a resignation this evening.

He and I will speak tomorrow, and I will try to get more information on his resignation. I do know that it has been a rough go there for both he and the program in general .

EDIT 11-19 4:22 PM

I spoke with Davis today for quite a bit. He didn't go into many details, but it was clear to me that he is beyond ready to move on. There seems to be some things that were happening at Waldron that may have been playing a part in the team's lack of success, and losing 20 games in a row can weigh on a coach.

He is actively seeking other jobs. He will be sending in his resume to at least one job that I know of. He told me that he is willing to accept a head coaching or even an assistants position. If the money is right, he may would even accept a junior high head coaching position.

At the end of the day, I feel he regrets leaving Strong after winning a state title there. He did tell me that he knew the Waldron job would be tough, but he didn't know it would be as tough as it was. He said they just couldn't get a break there.

Back to when he was at Strong, he told me that while Gus Malzahn was recruiting Kenneth Dixon, Malzahn asked him why he was leaving strong when he had just won a title there. Looking back on that, he wishes he wouldn't have done it.

At the end of the day, I think Davis is a good coach, and he will land on his feet somewhere else.

Also, look for more resignations from assistants to come as well.

This post was edited on 11/19 4:27 PM by Luke Matheson

He certainly had much better luck at Strong. To me, that shows what kind of coach he really is. Yeah, he had a super star in Kenneth Dixon, but a lot of coaches have to have a super star or two to win it all. Regardless of where he ends up, someone will get a good coach.

Tell him to keep an eye on Texarkana lol. I think Ledford is out there after losing to Parkview at home.

They did beat El Dorado (El Do is to Texarkana what Auburn is to Bama; losing to them is unacceptable), but unless the Wildcats win 6A I don't think it matters. Losing to Parkview should be deemed unacceptable, especially the way they lost (blew a 25-7 third qtr lead).

ADVERTISEMENT