ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on the Jeremy Sprinkle situation

Luke Matheson

ArkansasVarsity.com Hall of Famer
Staff
May 26, 2007
White Hall, Arkansas
arkansasvarsity.com
Living in White Hall, I've had a lot of people ask me about the Jeremy Sprinkle situation already. It began at the basketball tournament I covered last night, and has continued in text messages, inbox messages, etc. So, I guess I will say what I have to say here.

I've always admired Jeremy. Coach Wade Reynolds introduced me to him when he was a junior in high school and told me to keep my eyes on him. I did a couple of articles on him and told Trey Biddy and Danny West to keep an eye on him as well. Eventually, the offer came, and Jeremy decided to be a Razorback.

You can't go around White Hall without seeing photos, autographed items, etc from Jeremy. Kids here talk about him. Kids here want to be him. It's only natural. He is someone people look up to and admire.

He has a wonderful family, and a bloodline that produces athletes. The Sprinkle family is well known for that fact.

Now, we have the situation that Jeremy was caught up in this week. It is so easy to give an opinion, call him an idiot, question his integrity, etc.; and yes I've wondered what was he thinking? What went through his mind to cause him to do what he allegedly did? My kids asked me about it as soon as I got home last night, so I had to explain it to them.

Now, I said that to say this: We all make mistakes. Some answers bigger than others. I haven't spoken to Jeremy or anyone in his family, but I am sure they are all upset and disappointed. I'm sure Jeremy will learn a valuable life lesson from this. God knows I made some mistakes at his age that I've learned from. I will probably make some more along the way as well.

I know people are disappointed. That's only natural. However, I'm hoping that this is an eye opener from Jeremy and I hope people will stand by him and help him through this; especially the people from White Hall.

The Bible says a just man falls seven times. This means he fell/messed up six more times, but he kept pulling himself up and worked towards doing better than he had done before. It's time for Jeremy to do just that.

He's going to have a shot to play pro football. Yes, this situation will come into question when he speaks with teams. This is where he has to own this, and make sure they know he's going to work hard at doing better, and will never be in this situation again. Someone will pick him up and give him a chance.

Speaking of a chance, I'm hoping people will give Jeremy a chance to redeem himself and show us all the man that he truly is.

UPDATE: 5:40 PM

Jeremy Sprinkle tweeted the following statement:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is FREE to get a message board username on ArkanasasVarsity.com. CLICK HERE to get your FREE username, and join the conversation.

Last edited:
I don't know Jeremy. I understand this is totally out of character for him. I just hope this doesn't hurt him to a big extent, entering the NFL. With that being said, he created many, many months of anguish for himself, having to answer the obvious question, and convincing teams, friends, family, etc. this will never happen again. If this is his first offense, I don't see this being near the situation, compared if he had been in numerous trouble numerous times. Best of luck to him.

Reactions: Luke Matheson
ADVERTISEMENT