ADVERTISEMENT

What is going on at Watson Chapel?

FrankJohnson

Jr. High
Gold Member
Nov 26, 2009
What's going on? It's been on multiple websites that the Des Arc coach was going to get the job, but he was turned down last night. There's a guy on Fearless Friday who claims to be a school board member who posted last week that the coach would have "no problem" getting the required votes and there was something posted here citing a school board member saying close to the same thing. What's going on in Wildcat country? They better get their crap together and get a coach soon. It's already been a cluster with how they handled the situation with Shelton and now this. What the hell is going on with the school board and superintendent?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I feel bad for Dustin Prescott, mainly because I ran what I ran when told "he is the man" by multiple people. I don't know what all is going on at Chapel, but I know that after the board refused to hire Prescott, the superintendent resigned. I'm told this is the first time in school history that the school board has refused to hire the coach recommended by the search committee and the superintendent.

There's been some rumors that certain members of he board want to promote the junior high coach, and allegedly do not want to hire anyone but him. This may or may not be true, but if the junior high coach ends up with the job, it will be awful suspicious.

Regardless, whoever gets the job will have some big shoes to fill going in behind George Shelton.

This post was edited on 5/13 12:37 PM by Luke Matheson

I was just on fearless and now questions are being raised to if this was maybe racially motivated due to statements made by people at Watson Chapel in an article in the local paper.In the article, a school board member questioned how many black people the superintendent has hired. Now, I'm a black guy myself, but race should play no part in any of this.

From the article: The Watson Chapel School Board voted 5-2 Monday night to approve a one-year extension of Superintendent Danny Hazelwood's contract, with one board member questioning the number of African-Americans that Hazelwood has hired.

Hazelwood, in his seventh year as the district's chief, was in the second of a 3-year agreement prior to the decision. The extension did not include a salary increase. Hazelwood earns $122,478 annually.
Favoring the extension were Directors Robin Barker, Sandra Boone, Donnie Hartsfield, Danny Holcomb and J.J. Jones. Shade Culclager and Ronnie Reynolds were opposed.
During the meeting, in which he requested a roll-call vote, Culclager asked Hartsfield ? the board's president ? for permission to distribute a request. Hartsfield approved the action, and Culclager handed a sealed paper to each of his counterparts.
After the meeting, a Commercial reporter requested and received a copy of the typed communication, in which Culclager posed five questions and two requests for documents. He wants Hazelwood's reply to be made available to all board members "within five working days."
Culclager asked how many certified teachers have been hired in the past five years, how many of those hires were African-Americans or other minorities, how much it would cost to give the district's certified teachers an across-the-board 1.5-percent salary hike and how that might impact the district's finances. He also requested copies of signed contracts of all central office employees for the 2009-10 school year and a copy of a board-approved policy that grants the superintendent authority to give district employees up to a 5-percent pay increase without board approval.
http://pbcommercial.com/news/local/wcsd-superintendent-s-contract-extended-split-vote-questions-about-race-raised

The PB Commercial is reporting votes were in fact along racial lines. This is a black eye for the Watson Chapel school district.

The vote against hiring Prescott fell along racial lines, according to Reynolds. Board president Donnie Hartsfield and board member Robin Barker, who are white, voted in support of Hazelwood's recommendation to hire Prescott. Reynolds and fellow board members Shade Culclager, Sandra Boone and J.J. Jones, who are black, all voted against the hiring. Reynolds said board member Danny Holcomb, who is white, left the meeting before the vote.
Reynolds said some of the board members were disappointed by a story published in The Commercial over the weekend that reported Hazelwood's plans to recommend that Prescott be hired.
"I did not feel (the recommendation) was presented to the board as it should have been," Reynolds said. "That article made it seem like it was a done deal. … We as the board are the decision-makers. All he (Hazelwood) does is make recommendations."
Reynolds indicated that race was a factor in the vote.
"We may need to look at some minority recruitment," he said. "That's a factor. When you look at 15 white coaches and two black coaches, that's a factor, whether they admit it or not."
Shelton, the retiring coach, is black. Prescott is white.http://pbcommercial.com/news/local/hazelwood-resigns-after-board-vote-football-coach#sthash.vICKZwyy.dpuf

They don't want to win a championship because they have to play the race card because some black man/woman is butthurt.

I hope they go 0-10 every year. Stupid idiots.

It is truly sad that we are still dealing with crap like this in today's times. If someone can teach my children, coach my children, and help guide my children to a successful life, I don't care what color they are. Race absolutely SHOULD NOT play a part in ANYTHING these days. We've come so far as a nation, only to allow petty crap like this to set us back.

ADVERTISEMENT