ADVERTISEMENT

Week seven Sunday thoughts

Luke Matheson

ArkansasVarsity.com Hall of Famer
Staff
May 26, 2007
White Hall, Arkansas
arkansasvarsity.com
I typically do my "thoughts" post on Saturday, but I was completely covered up yesterday, so I'm doing this today before heading to church.

Friday night was another awesome night of football in Arkansas. There were some really surprising scores, and some that surprised others that I actually called for in the Week Six picks post from Thursday.

First off, I saw a great game between Glen Rose and Fountain Lake Friday night. I thought the game would be closer, but Glen Rose put together a complete game and dominated the Cobras. The Beavers did it on offense, defense, and special teams. This team is one year removed from playing for a Class 3A title, and they very well could make a run back to The Rock. It would not shock me one bit to see them there come December.

Now, to Class 7A.

There were a lot of good games Friday night, and the more I see, the more I feel that Cabot, Conway, or North Little Rock could legitimately end the West's streak of winning state titles. The teams in the West are beating up on each other, and the "dominate" teams are barely squeaking past teams that they should be beating by two-three scores.

Bentonville only beats Rogers-Heritage by three, Har-Ber gives up 35 to Siloam and only wins by a touchdown, and Conway throttles FS Southside. Fayetteville got a win over Rogers, but it will be interesting to see how they fair from this point forward with the meat of their schedule coming up.

Meanwhile, Cabot is taking care of business. Conway looks solid, and North Little Rock is learning to distribute the football to multiple play makers after losing Juan Day for the season. Speaking of Conway, that match up with Greenwood in week nine is going to be the game to watch regardless of classification.

Speaking of Greenwood, the 6A title goes through them. The rest of 6A is as spastic as a wet cat in a toilet. I mean, Benton is leading the 6A South. BENTON! Not taking anything away from what they have accomplished this year, but you can't tell me that going into week eight, that we wasn't thinking Pine Bluff, El Dorado, or Lake Hamilton wouldn't be up top. The 6A South is as crazy as I have ever seen it right now, but I still look for one of the big three to play in Little Rock come December.

Jonesboro is looking good as well, so they very well could get on a run in the playoffs, and take advantage of what is happening in the South. Other than that, Greenwood looks like they are going to make another run. The only team that I can see who may can beat them is Conway next week.

Boy, 5A is interesting also.

Camden-Fairview has certainly taken Greenwood's spot as top dog, but Pulaski Academy is right there as well. If all remains as it is right now, these two will play at Camden in the semi-finals. Honestly, that kind of sucks because their bracket is loaded, while the opposite side is going to place a team at state who probably couldn't beat either one of them.

I was surprised that Watson Chapel only lost to White Hall by a touchdown, and boy did Shiloh Christian put a whipping on Harrison? I predicted a high scoring game, but 70-35? Wow! The Saints very well could be one of those teams to take advantage of that bracket mis-match that I mentioned above.

Class 4A is getting very interesting as well. Several teams are beginning to emerge as legitimate contenders, and we have a showdown brewing in the 8-4A that will be coming up in a couple of weeks between Hamburg and Warren. That game will be a barn burner. Both teams are dominating their conference, and have two of the best coaches in Class 4A.

Not only that, but Dollarway is simply dominating everyone they play. Could this be the year of the Cardinals? Newport tried and failed, Lonoke tried and failed, everyone who has played them this year has tried and failed. They will certainly be a team to watch in the playoffs. Dollarway is the one team that may be able to knock off Arkadelphia, Hamburg, and Warren all three. Keep your eyes on them.

Class 3A is getting interesting as well.

I think that Barton, Harding Academy, Charleston, Smackover, and Glen Rose are separating themselves as the dominate teams in that classification. They are four teams that could certainly make their way to Little Rock this year, that's for sure.

I had several people tweet me when I predicted that Barton would handle Mayflower this week. I simply saw a dominate Barton team that is beginning to look like the Barton teams of the late 1980's. They have a solid offense and a dominate defense. The Bears very well may have what it takes to get the job done this year. Mayflower has been dominate also, but Barton defeated them 56-19 Friday night.

And here we go with Class 2A.

I have to give a shout out to Carlisle for the whipping they put on their rival Hazen. The Bison simply dominated that game by the tune of 40-12. Des Arc picked up a nice win over England also.

The game of the week this week will be at Rison as the Wildcats take on the Bearden Bears. This will decide second place in the 8-2A, and have major playoff seeding implications. It should prove to be a good game. This one went down to the wire last year, so it will be fun to see how it plays out Friday night.

How about Mount Ida's dominating performance against Cutter Morning Star? This game was picked to be a close one, but was anything but that.

Oh, Junction City is still the team to beat. Look for them to be that way next year also.

I hope you enjoyed my thoughts from this week. Feel free to chime in with your own. All opinions are welcomed here. Who is your team to beat in each classification? You can sign up for a FREE user name and chime in if you'd like by CLICKING HERE. If you already have a Rivals.com log in, you can use it to post as well.

If Cabot can find some balance they are gonna be hard to beat. Physical team on both sides of the football.

El Dorado may have turned a corner last night with their young squad getting a big win on the road. A win at home against Pine Bluff this week and you can stamp the Wildcats as a threat in November.

Smackover could be headed to WMS. I lived down there for years and folks there have told me this may be the best Buckaroo team ever.

CMS got exposed by Mt Ida on Fri night. Lack of depth (18 kids) did them in against a Lions team that rushed for over 300 yds. Watch Mt Ida as a possible state title contender the next two years. Lots of talent in the 9th and 10th grades.

Luke, you should come to carlisle week 9 for the des arc/carlisle game. The game will be for the 6-2A crown.

I said it once I'll say it again, the only thing standing between undefeated season and continuing the streak is Southside/Conway. Nothing stands between Greenwood and a historic 4 peat.

The average score for Greenwood is 45 points, the opponent is averaging 15. The Streak stats alone, are remarkable.

ADVERTISEMENT