ADVERTISEMENT

George Shelton has retired from Watson Chapel

Luke Matheson

ArkansasVarsity.com Hall of Famer
Staff
May 26, 2007
White Hall, Arkansas
arkansasvarsity.com
UPDATE: Originally, I was told that coach George Shelton was retiring due to medical reasons. However, after speaking with Shelton today, he sated the following:

"It's not a medical retirement, although I do have an issue that requires my attention," said Shelton. "I will have competed 29 years in education at the end of this school year, and I am excited about what God has in his plan for me."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Message after editing the info regarding the "medical retirement" that I was given last night:

A source close to the situation has informed ArkansasVarsity.com that interviews to replace Shelton will begin April 22nd, and the contract is supposed to be a 10 month contract in the beginning.

Best of luck to Coach Shelton. He has been a friend of this site for several years, and has helped me on several occasions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was alerted that there are folks out there that do not post because they think you have to be a paying member to post on the message boards. That is NOT the case. Joining the ArkansasVarsity.com Community is FREE! If you are not registered, you can do so by CLICKING HERE. If you already have a Rivals.com log in, you can use it to post as well.

This post was edited on 4/15 3:38 PM by Luke Matheson

Re: George Shelton has "medically retired" from Watson Chapel

Originally posted by gatecrasherfan:
Wow!This comes as a huge surprise. Didn't see this coming.
Indeed it is. I knew that he had taken some leave due to a medical issue, but I was contacted earlier by a coach tonight asking if the job was open. I did a little digging, and got the information I posted above.

This really sucks. George is one of the greats. That man has won everywhere he has been. Get well soon, George. We want to see you back on the sidelines.

I'm hearing that a hire could very possibly come from within the Watson Chapel program. I'll post more when I know for sure that I can.

This post was edited on 4/14 10:10 PM by Luke Matheson

Was George Shelton the same coach that was a coach at Pine Bluff HS in 1994-1996? If so he was my position coach for TE and DE....

I'm hearing that two in-house coaches could be front runners for the job. Andy McCready who was the defensive coordinator for George Shelton for years at various stops to include Watson Chapel, and junior high head coach Jared Dutton are two names to watch. There are some in Chapel who believe it will be one of these two coaches who gets the job.

This post was edited on 4/15 2:12 PM by Luke Matheson

ADVERTISEMENT