ADVERTISEMENT

Episcopal vs Dewitt/Warren vs Southside - What we learned

Luke Matheson

ArkansasVarsity.com Hall of Famer
Staff
May 26, 2007
White Hall, Arkansas
arkansasvarsity.com
I was able to catch both games last night at UAPB, and I came away with a little better understanding of each team that I saw.

Episcopal - These guys are going to be solid again this year. Nick Becton and Kelvin Robinson both looked solid for the Wildcats, and both showed big play ability on several occasions. Braylon Smith was a solid runner as well, and Allie Freeman is just an all around play maker. This is a team who could do big things this year.

Dewitt - The Dragons showed some good things at times, but they still have some work to do. They moved the ball well between the 20's, but stalled out multiple times in the red zone. Jake Rieves has a chance to be a solid QB for the Dragons and Jamari Bradford is a solid running back for them. Dayne Van Camp had good hands as a receiver. If the Dragons can watch the game film and fix some of the mistakes they made in their loss, they are a team that has the play makers to have a solid season.

Warren- What can I say? Yeah, they lost to Southside, but they gave a 7A team all they wanted and then some. Darveon Brown and Kilay Cox were solid last night. I hated that Jaylon Marshall was ejected (I'm honestly not sure his ejection was warranted after seeing a Southside player punch him in the face, but that's not my call to make.) I believe that Bo Hembree's squad is going to be a force in 4A again this year, and though it is early in the season, this could be the year of the Lumberjacks. The team speed and the way they run their offense is already at a solid level. This will be a fun team to keep up with this year.

FS Southside - Southside had a solid game last night, and at the end of the game, their depth played a huge part in their win over Warren. They were able to rotate in a lot more guys than the Lumberjacks, and that payed off for them in the fourth quarter. The Rebs have some solid players in Cooper Johnson, Calvin Espinoza, Deyon Jordan, Emman Martinez, and Randy Rainwater (Not the Drive Time Sports guy!). The should have a solid season this year as well.

This post was edited on 9/3 10:51 AM by Luke Matheson

ADVERTISEMENT